[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toploads that bite

Hi Ross,

The static shock you received must have initially come from a non-metalic
surface, like the secondary former or a good coating of polyeurethane
varnish over the coil.  Although the TC is an AC device, the fact that
electrons are small and the rest of an atom is large causes a (DC) charge to
accumulate on insulating surfaces.  The fact that the secondary coil is
still earthed does not help the charge drain away.

If you were insulated by rubber soled shoes, the charge probably passed to
you first and then discharged suddenly when you touched the topload.

Steve Bell (UK)
steve-at-breakfix.demon.co.uk
http://www.breakfix.demon.co.uk