[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arcs off the fingers and getting killed in the process...

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Megavolt Nick" <tesla-at-fieldfamily.prontoserve.co.uk>
>
> Hi All,
>            I agree that workshop safety is probably one of the major risks
> in tesla coiling.  There are many good books on the subject.
> Even when using something incocent like a drill press wear gloves and
> goggles, I've spent 4 hours in casualty after getting a splinter of brass in
> my eye from a drill press *with* a guard and a dust extraction system (in
> the end the splinter fell out before I got treated, so much for state
> healthcare :-).  Table saws are among the most dangerous pieces of equipment
> in the average machine shop, the  saw at school regularly spits bits of wood
> through the door behind it (not through the open door *through* the door,
> without openning it first).  Never lean over the table to feed the work,
> always use the guides to do it from the side.  Also do not cut plexi on your
> home table saw, unless you have a proper dust extraction system - cutting at
> high speed the fumes can build up to nasty levels.  It doesn't take much
> skill to cut a straigh(ish) line with a jigsaw and it's a whole lot safer
> than a table saw on anything that might shatter.
>
> Regards
> Nick Field

Nick,

I have been a toolmaker/machinist for 30 years and one of the first things an
apprentice is tought is NEVER to wear any type of gloves when operating a drill
press, or any other machine with a rotating spindle, and that goes for watches,
rings, neckties and long sleeve shirts as well. That is, unless you really want
to lose a finger of two, or worse! More machine shop accidents happen on the
"innocent" drill press than any other machine in the shop because too many
people tend take them for granted!

Safe coiling and machining to all.

Blessed to still be waving all ten digits in upstate NY,

Ed Wingate RATCB