[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arcs off the fingers and getting killed in the process...

Hi All,

> > Original Poster: Dan and Nancy <ntesla-at-ntesla.csd.sc.edu>
>
> (Nick wrote:) -
No I didn't, that was terry.
> > >I was wearing googles, and heavy duty
> > >leather work gloves, and had all body parts accounted for at the
> >>end of the day, but I fear for the person that does not take all
> >> possible precautions--even the ones that don't seem necessary
> >, are!
>
> > Arrgh! When building anything, including Tesla-coils, and using power
> > tools, *do not wear gloves!!* It's ten times better to screw up and
> >lose a finger-tip than it is to get your glove caught in something and
> >have half your forearm ripped off! No ties or loose, long hair either
Personally, as I make a point of never holding the work with my hand (always
use a machine or hand vice) and wear very loose fitting leather work gloves
I'd rather be protected against swarf, rogue workpieces, etc.  - I agree
those huge rubber guantlet thing that go half way up your arms are probably
a bit risky.

Snip

> Sorry, but here I have to disagree vehemently. It COMPLETELY
> depends on what kind of power tool you want to use. I will agree
> fully, when it comes to lathes, drill press, milling, sawing, etc.
> There are, however, at least two jobs, where HEAVY leather
> gloves are a MUST:
I think I he meant bench power tools - as you said lathes, drill presses
etc.

Regards
Nick Field