[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Maxwell Capacitor abuse, voltage reversal?

Hi Adam,
> > It depends very much which type they are.  With all tank caps the
crucial
> > thing is the Ipeak not the Vpeak therefore you should be fine up to a
few
> > kVA as the V peak off a 15kV neon is no where near 45kV (35kV tops).
>
> Well, I'm not sure that the Maxwell's I'm getting are the ideal type for
> Tesla Coil use, but they're all I could get my hands on.  They look like
the
> type "SP" shown on this site: http://www.surplussales-dot-com/Maxwell.html
>
> The Maxwell part numbers are: 37218, 31507, 31677 and 31393, but I don't
> have access to the datasheets.  Except for the 31393, these are no longer
> listed on Maxwell's site as best I can tell.  The voltage ratings are just
> 40kV, AC or DC is not specified.  The current ratings are 25kA pulse, 25A
> rms, but these are all at 20% "voltage reversal".
They are fine - if the rms current is 25A i don't think your 60ma neon is
gonna over current them!

> If someone could explain the definition of the voltage reversal percentage
> to me, it would be quite helpful.  Do they they mean the peak-to-peak
> voltage divided by the rated voltage?
The voltage reversal is the amount of the rated voltage the voltage is
allowed to swing the other way within the discharge cycle.

BTW: How mcuh did they set you back - I was shopping for pulse caps recently
and couldn't get a clear idea of price.

> -Adam
> adamsmith-at-mediaone-dot-net

Nice Find