[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Wire gauge

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Samuel Rosset" <samr-at-chez-dot-com>
>
> I have a problem with converting the gauge in inches, for I have several
> sources and they are different. For example, with one source, a #26 AWG
> would have 58 turns per '' and another one says there are 63 turn per ''
> Does anyone know the diameter for the wires AWG #26, #24 and #22
>
> Thank you
>
> Sam
I think that wires of the same gauge may have slightly different turn
per inch ratings because of the coating thickness or method of
measurement, but a quick and practical method is to fashion a pencil or
round pen with a concise inch scale marked along it's length, and you
can quickly twist up an inch or half inch counting the turns--make sure
and push the turns together tightly. This would take only a foot or so
of wire for an instant accurate TPI count.

all the best,
Wells