Re: Phase adjust (excessive PFC !)

In a message dated 12/29/00 9:24:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

Brian, Richie, all,

Thanks for the info on these phase shifter issues.  I had not thought
about the over compensating case, except from the reso-rise point
of view.  It seems that a lot more concern will have to be given when
using these larger motors with the phase shifter.  BTW, I've seen
that fast braking effect in my 3 phase homemade converter for my
lathe, when I turn it off in the wrong way.  Richie's suggestion for
using a switch that disconnects the motor when the power is shut
off seems like a good idea to stop the fast braking effect.

What really surprised me is that Brian never found more than a
five degree phase shift, no matter what size capacitor was used.
I don't understand why such a limited phase shift would occur.
Unless maybe the cap size is quite critical for the larger motors,
but I don't see why that should be.

John Freau
-