Re: Concerning Terry's protection filter 15kV at up to 240mA

Hi Mattias,

At 11:59 PM 12/27/2000 +0100, you wrote:

> I have a few questions concerning Terry's protection filter.
>
> 1) When using MOVs what value on voltage should you use when setting them up
> in a series. I have MOVs rated a continoues voltage of 625V RMS. Does this
> mean that 16 should be put in series in order for them to withstand the 10kV
> that the NST delivers?

A with the types of ratings you have, It is simply 10000/625 = 16.  One or two
extra would not hurt to give a little space.

> 2) Is it important that the recommended Vmax for a resistors used as
> "capbleeders" is followed?

The resistors I use can take the voltage.  Don't use 1/4 watt resistors.

> 3) What downsides does an L-R-C filter have in high frequency applications
> (as with a teslacoil) compared to an R-C filter

See the two papers at the bottom of:
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/MyPapers.htm

> Regards
> Mattias