Re: acmi error found?

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi Terry,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> Hi All,
>
> I went back and measured the inductance of my primary with the secondary in
> the various positions.  It changes!  (ok, I knew it would from past
> experience ;-))  It appears as the secondary nears the primary coil, the
> primary inductance drops by about 3.66%.

Good find! I found something odd as well. I flipped the primary over (taps
unchanged) and measured a drop in coupling for the same s to p position. The
coupling dropped by 0.012! With the primary upside down, both windings are in
the same direction. But, with the "flip" I later realized there was also a drop
in primary height to the ground plane by ~7 inches. More testing to be done. I
made a pcv secondary base today that allows me to raise the secondary in 1 inch
steps, so I can now mimic your test bed.

Glad you checked this. I expect there is something similar going on with my
coil, but I haven't put my finger on it yet. Although I didn't get an LCR for
Christmas, I did manage to win the football pool at work this weekend, so with
an extra $150 in my pocket, I may yet have that LCR meter.

Take care,
Bart