Phase adjust

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

John & Terry,

I finally got John Freau's sync rotary phase adjuster circuit set up today.
I have a 1/3 H.P. motor modified to run synchronous at 3600 rpm.  This motor
needs 100 volts minimum to stay locked.  I used a variac that will produce 0
to 145 volts ac and set it at 125 volts to power the circuit.  I used two 27
ufd caps in parallel for a total of 54 ufd and mounted them right near the
sync motor, in parallel.  These are motor run caps rated at 370 v ac.  The
phase adjuster variac is a 10 amp powerstat which yields 0 to 250 mh in
adjustment.  As I start to increase this variac, the motor voltage falls
quickly and within maybe 20 % of increase, falls below 100 volts and it blows
the fuse, which is a 3 amp fast blow type.  I tried it again, same result.
Do I need much larger caps with a 1/3 H.P. motor?

Ed Sonderman