RE: Measurement Errors was ( More Coupling...)

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

Terry -

I am pleased to see that coilers on the Tesla List are taking more interest
in TC testing. However, it should be noted that comparing test measurements
with computer results can be misleading unless the "error problem" is cleary
understood.

1. All real world TC measurements have a certain algebraic (+/-) error. This
error can be reduced but not eliminated by making several careful
measurements.

2. If a computer is working properly the calcs and outputs are always
correct for the inputs used. It is the inputs that are in error, not the
outputs. This means all inputs involved must be carefully measured.

For example if your measurement (oper freq) is 5% too high and the computer
output is 5% too low, the difference is 10% but they can be both considered
correct if the error is stated. The true value is somewhere between the
measured value and the computer value. The computer inputs obviously have a
total algebraic error that equals a low 5%, very confusing??

It is obvious that coilers should use accuracy estimates with great caution.
Comments welcomed.

John Couture