Re: Glass drilling.

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com>

Glass-cutting bits are available from any real hardware store or from
McMaster-Carr.
Ordinary drill bits will just be ruined. I have sharpened a triangular file
to a near (slightly
flat) point. Sharpen the edges of the file. Try to work on a drill press as
glass cutting is a slow process requiring a steady but very light pressure.
Use plenty of light coolant,
kerosene works well. You need something that will get to the bottom of the
dimple
and suspend the glass particles. A dam of clay or putty also helps. Even a
hole as small
as 1/4 inch should be drilled in stages; don't try to blast thru in one pass.
Also, I try not to drill all the way thru until I have the right size hole
formed. That will keep the coolant from
flowing out of the hole before you are ready to lose it.

Cheers,
Ralph Zekelman