Re: Capacitors

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Tim by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<warpath-at-wtp-dot-net>

> Hi to All, My name is Tim Walrath. I am endeavoring to build my first
> Tesla Coil. I have purchased a 15000 volt neon sign transformer that
> puts out 450VA at 30MA. I am wanting to build my own capacitors.

snipperz...

Hi Tim...

Welcome to the world of tesla coiling....    I started coiling about 2
years ago  (
before the advent of MMC's) and I spent a fortune on makng my own caps (
about 400$)
made all kinds of caps , plate caps rolled caps, air gap caps, etc...  they
all blew up,
fried, died...  The MMC ( multi mini cap ) is definately the way to go !!!
it will last
longer than 15 seconds and will cost alot less "in the long run"   true the
initial
investment does seem a bit pricey ( about 100$ for a decient one) but that
is alot less
than 400$ and finally the cost for a "real" cap that could easily set you
back another
300$.

when building your MMC, keep in mind that you will need to keep the cap
leads at least 1
- 1.5" apart, use a good insulative mounting board, and position the bleed
resistors
properly to reduce the risk of flashover.

there are several websites which have some decient plans for MMC's.  Check
out Terrys
site, he has a wealth of info on caps and other data that has helped me out
tremendiously.

the other part of the coil that takes a beating is the spark gap....   (
not to be
ringing my bell but...   ;)   )
the SD gap is a well designed gap for lower power coils such as yours  I
believe terry
still has pix of it on his site.

for some other info check out    http://members.telocity-dot-com/~bigfoo39/

Scot D