Re: More Coupling...

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi Pete,

Anytime you can make the measurements would be super!

Your quandry's are certainly valid. It would be great to know which coupling is
best for a given coil size, input power, etc. (and would add knowledge to
racing spark phenomenon). But I think it will take coupling data (emperical to
the nth degree) to make this happen. As data comes in, patterns emerge. From
patterns, similarities are seen. We begin to identify which coils will obtain
what coupling and from their performance, theory's emerge. Eventually, a high
percentage consensus is reached and our brains have a new wrinkle. Of course,
during this time, some coil mathematical genius (not I) is crunching numbers to
develop (at the least) tables of K, input power, coil size, etc. or eventually
- fast calcs. All this makes for better working coils in the end running at the
highest possible efficiency in the power coupling arena.

Take care,
Bart

BTW - Terry's "best method" of measure K? That's exactly the way to do it! It's
really easy. The hard part is moving the primary up or down each step. I
personally used a caliper to measure standoffs at 1/4 inch increments between
-2 and +2 inches. I wanted to be sure, but there are many other ways to do
this.