Re: Interesting residual charge

Hi Chris,

	Probably you or John just got a good static charge on your from being near
(too near ;-)) the coil.  Just like rubbing one's feet on the rug, you can
build up a substantial charge on you and when you touch something it can
spark.  Negative voltages tend to arc better than positive voltages so TCs
can easily impart negative static charges on nearby people or ungrounded
conductive objects.

I recently did some 25kV cap testing and just being about 2 feet away I
could repeatedly draw a little arc between me and ground simply because I
was in the powerful fields such high voltages produce in the area.  I used
to work near 375kV power lines when the nearby fields and static shocks
were very annoying!  Everything I touched would give me a powerful static
shock which was really bad since I was usually on a ladder (fiberglass)
holding tools and stuff.  Although you can't see the fields, they are
around 50kV/meter which is very powerful.

Cheers,

	Terry