Re: Quick toriod question...

In a message dated 12/20/00 8:44:16 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Hi all.
>  I'm up to the last stage of my coil now; I've got all the components
>  assembled, and am trying to set aside a day for tuning, from spark-gaps up.
>
>  Anyway, I've got aluminium ducting as my toroid. Other coilers' methods for
>  attaching the toroid to the secondary were based around two pizza-dishes
>  clamping the inner 'hole' of the toroid. I was wondering if there was any
>  other useful ways of attaching.. eg, struts or something similar.
>
>  Any ideas?
>
>  Thanks,
>  Simon

Simon,

I use the strut method.  I take two flat type curtain rods, and cut
out two straight lengths, which are a little longer than the center
hole of the toroid is wide.  I leave the ends of the rods rough from
the hacksaw cutting.  Then I drill a hole in the center of the rods
and mount them criss-cross on top of secondary.   then I just
place toroid on top so rods "bite" in at center a little.  I guess they
could be epoxied in place or connected some other way also.
For a heavy toroid, stronger rods should be used.

JOhn Freau