Re: Solid-state status

Original poster: "R.E.Burnett by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <R.E.Burnett-at-newcastle.ac.uk>

Hi Ken,

There are a couple of things that you can do to minimise the
"Miller" effect (caused by MOSFET Gate-Drain capacitance.)

1. Reduce the impedance of the gate drive circuit.  This involves
minimising stray resistance and inductance in the entire gate-source loop.
You could use a twisted pair if it is not practical to locate the driver
stage close to the MOSFET gate terminals.  Keep PCB traces like 1/2" or
shorter in length,  and only add enough resistance to damp ringing.

2. Apply a small negative bias to the gate with respect to the source of
the device that is intended to remain off.  If the gate is biased to -10V
when off then the Miller effect must cause almost 13volts rise in the
gate potential in order to risk spurious turn-on.

( The negative gate bias method is a very effective "Miller killer" but it
has one disadvantage.  Turn-on delay is increased because the gate now
has to be charged to the threshold voltage from -10volts or so ! )

I am not sure of your circuit topology (it is not published anywhere ?)
so I cannot really suggest any other tricks.  But,  I hope this info is of
some help.
							Cheers,

							-Richie,

> Original poster: "Kennan C Herrick by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"