Re: 12/30 nst gives 42" sparks, was The barter system rules!

In a message dated 12/18/00 12:25:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "kevin wilson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<
> thebiggiantkevin-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
>  I will be loosely basing my new design on the 12/30 coil found on John F's
>  page.  He has proven that these 12/30's are capable of capable of 42"
>  streamers (with the right set up)
>
>  WOW 42" from a 12/30...Sounds too good to be true :) or is that 2 or 3 in
>  parallel? Can someone give a link to John F's page? I cant find it in the
>  Tesla web ring. Thanks

Kevin,

I use just one 12/30 NST to obtain the 42" sparks.  The key to
good performance with an NST is to use a low 120 bps breakrate, an
LTR sized cap, a proper sized toroid, and 1300 to 1600 turns of wire
in the secondary.  I use a 140 volt step up variac to power the
coil,  120 volts input, it gives a little less spark length.

   http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html

There's also some simplified theory at the site which explains
this in more detail.

John Freau