Help with Terry's NST protection

Original poster: "Simon Yorkston by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <quantumx-at-ozemail-dot-com.au>

Hi all.
I seemed to have settled the sparks down arcing across the protection
board, but I still have one problem. Instead of sparks breaking out in my
spark gap, they break out across the two safety gaps. When I open the
saftey gaps a little, instead of going to the sparkgap, it begins to arc
across the circuit again, despite wood and HDPE insulations. Can I remove
one saftey gap [what do I do with the RF earth wire then?] or has anyone
got any other suggestions?

Thanks again, Simon