SSTC/Magnifier

Original poster: "Mark Hales by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <markhals-at-dircon.co.uk>

People.
I'm aware that Richie Burnet (UK) has designed and built a SSTC/Magnifier
(see his web page...Nice) using MOSFETS, but my conversation with him at
Cambridge put me off as like most high tech coiling, it's expensive
(especially when you've blown a bucketful of MOSFETs).
What I'd like to know is, has anyone used either the old 2n3055 cct as a
basis for a mag or any of the ccts using an ignition coil with core removed?
Is this a waste of time to even consider?
Cheers in advance...
Mark