NST PFC cap question

Original poster: "kevin wilson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <thebiggiantkevin-at-hotmail-dot-com>

I just hooked up a pair of 100uF 100V non-polar electrolytic caps in series
(closest to the needed 41uF I could get) to the primary of my 15kV, 30mA NST
for phase correction. (I don’t fully understand the PFC idea, but it sounded
good and I thought Id give it a try) After running for 10 seconds they were
getting warm and after another 10 seconds they were significantly warmer. Im
sure if I continued to run them they would overheat. What can I do to fix
this? Can I put a resistor in series to cut down the caps current? The
resistor shouldn’t effect the phase shift of the caps right? 100V was the
highest rating in the non-polar caps at the local electronics shop, so
putting caps in parallel isn’t an option. Any ideas or links to PFC info
would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
_________
Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn-dot-com