Re: Who needs a quenching gap ?

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Marco Denicolai by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs.fi>

> Dear Antonio.
>
> I don't understand a couple of things.
>
> 1. How do you define "full primary cycle"? Is it a full wave (negative and
> positive excursion) or only a semi-wave (negative OR positive excursion)?

A full wave, otherwise it would not be "full" ;-)

> 2. Looking at the waveform, how you can "see" when the total energy
> transfer has
> completed?

You have to plot the primary and secondary voltage and current. The
energy
transfer is total at a point where only the secondary voltage is not
zero.

> 3. How it can be that this transfer completes at the second or Nth envelope
> notch? I always though that at each notch ALL the energy has gone once to the
> secondary and back to the primary, partly dissipated in losses: how's that?

The envelope notches in the primary (that reduce the primary voltage
to zero) don't necessarily coincide with the zero crossings of the
primary and secondary currents. If the coincidence is imperfect, the
energy in the system don't go all to the secondary capacitance
(terminal included), because when the secondary voltage is maximum
this occurs out of a primary notch, and some energy is still present
in the primary, and/or when the primary voltage is zero the primary
current and/or the secondary current isn't null.
The perfect coincidence of zeros in all currents and the primary
voltage only occurs with one of those "magic" coupling coefficients,
and exact tuning.

Note that the amount of energy that remains in the primary in an
imperfect notch, if the tuning is correct, decreases quickly when the
number of cycles used by the energy transfer increases. "Magic"
coupling coefficients are only important if the transfer occurs in a
small number of cycles, in systems operating with tight coupling (in
practice, magnifiers). Note also that this discussion, and the
formulas for the "magic" coupling coefficients, ignore losses in
the system. Small losses distort slightly the values, but don't
change the qualitative behavior of the system.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz