Re: Who needs a quenching gap ?

Original poster: "Finn Hammer by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <f-hammer-at-post5.tele.dk>

Antonio!

This is great theoretical stuff, which I don`t understand, but will try
to use anyway! :-)

I am now absolutely determined to finish the realtime adjustable
coupling factor mecanism in the RAT coil

I have a  problem with understanding, pls. see below:

(I snip what is not important for the context)

snip

> Note the curious fact that it's possible to have total energy transfer
> at the 1st notch (modes a,a+1), at the second notch (modes a,a+3), or
> at the nth notch (modes a,a+2*n-1).
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                    Here is the problem

I plugged in the values from mode 2,5 which gives total transfer at 2nd.
notch:

2,2+2*2-1 = 2,4  Are you sure that the * should not be a + ?

this would give:

2,2+2+2-1 = 2,5

> Close to each optimum k for total transfer at the 1st notch there are
> two values of k the result in total transfer at the second notch.

Looking to understand this, I picked the mode 9,10 that should give 1st.
notch transfer:

9,10    19/181  = 0.105 5.0

Then the 2 modes on each side of it that should give 2nd. notch
transfer:

26,29   165/1517= 0.109 14.5
28,31   177/1745= 0.101 15.5

It was here that i realized, that the first envelope is a 1/2 one, the
next envelope is a full one, and has double the oscillations.

> Close to these ks there are other values that result in total transfer
> at the 3rd noth, and so on. There is also a set of high optimum
> couplings
> corresponding to modes 1,1+odd integer, and the families that appear
> around them.
> I don't believe, however that a real spark gap is sensitive enough
> to the primary energy to quench precisely where the primary energy
> disappears, because the differences among the primary energies at all
> the
> envelope notches is small. But there is a tendency for this.

Perhaps this will show up in actual testing, since the coil is already
content to finish the transfer to the streamers at the 2nd. notch, some
difference should show up when sliding the coupling trough values that
give full transfer at 1st. to nth. notch