Re: SRSG Question (fwd)

Original poster: Tesla List Moderator <mod1-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 17:15:26 EST
From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: SRSG Question

In a message dated 12/4/00 5:15:23 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<< Original poster: stanmoore-at-mindspring-dot-com

 When reading posts on the sync spark gap, I see references to using a variac
 control the supply voltage to the motor? Is this correct?  After you modify a
 motor to make it synchronous, do you then also control the supply voltage to
 achieve sync speed?  I am planning make an 1800 rpm sync motor.

 Also are variacs used on the supply to a NST, say a 15/30?

 Thanks,

 Stan

Stan,

I use variacs to control the power to the transformers, some folks don't.  It
makes things much easier to tune at low power and then go to full power when
you are satisified that everything is in order - tuning, coupling, etc.  I
also have a variac feeding power to my new sync gap motor.  I was concerned
about throwing full power to it and causing torque on the rotor that might
cause the electrodes to hit - which would be very bad.  This may not be a
real problem if the electrode spacing is set wide enough.  I was also
intrigued by the idea of getting some small phase angle adjustment on the
motor by using a variac.  Someone reported that a few degrees is possible.

Ed Sonderman