Re: NST shunt removal, (fwd)

Original poster: Tesla List Moderator <mod1-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 17:08:51 EST
From: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: NST shunt removal,

In a message dated 12/5/00 5:03:20 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi All,
>   There are many websites that tell how to unpot an NST.  Most also tell you
>  to take 2 or 3 shunts off to increase the current.  My question is, how far
>  can you go with shunt removal before the transformer simply fails?  One guy
>  I know took a 12/60 tranny and upgraded it to 120 ma.  It apparently still
>  works.
>
>  Thanks,
>  David Hansen

David,

The extra current will simply cause the NST to run hot.  So as
long as you don't let it get too hot it will be OK.  It's mainly overvolting
and RF that destroys NST's, not so much the over-currenting.  Heat
is a function of run-time too.  So as long as the runs are not too long,
the NST can't get too hot and will be fine.  Also, the NST will run a
lot cooler after it's unpotted, so that helps it to withstand more current,
without burning up.  Some folks put it in oil to really keep it cool,
but that's not necessary, but it does help by insulating it too.

JOhn Freau