Re: SRSG Question (fwd)

Original poster: Tesla List Moderator <mod1-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 14:44:09 EST
From: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: SRSG Question

In a message dated 12/4/00 8:15:32 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: stanmoore-at-mindspring-dot-com
>
>  When reading posts on the sync spark gap, I see references to using a
variac
>  control the supply voltage to the motor? Is this correct?  After you
modify
>  motor to make it synchronous, do you then also control the supply voltage
>  achieve sync speed?  I am planning make an 1800 rpm sync motor.
>

>  Also are variacs used on the supply to a NST, say a 15/30?

Stan,

A variac is not needed to control the sync motor voltage, but can
be used to give a slight variation of the phase.  Once a certain
voltage is reached the motor will lock sync-ly, but the phase will
vary slightly with voltage when it's locked.  You'll need to be able
to rotate the motor frame, or the fixed electrode arm, or the rotor
on the shaft, to adjust the phase for the rough adjustment anyway.

I always use variacs to supply an NST, but it's not necessary.
It's a lot nicer to have that kind of control though.

JOhn Freau