Re: RAT pictures online

Original poster: "Finn Hammer" <f-hammer-at-post5.tele.dk>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ted Rosenberg" <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>
>
> Finn: Nice construction. I'm jealous of all that BLUE stuff you have access
> to.

A lot of the blue comes from a tin of paint :-), but the local water
department has a large container with blue HDPE pipe cutoffs, and I am a
regular visitor, there.

> Question...please describe the cable and connectors from your HV supply to
> your coil main assembly. I plan an outboard power supply and I am
> considering several materials and connectors to best carry the voltage and
> current.

For this coil I am using uniradio shielded cable. The shields are
disconnected one inch short of the ends, and some heatshrink is slipped
over the cable before the crimp terminals are crimped on to the hdpe
insulation in these cables. Then I smear HV-silicone on the insulator
and slide the shrink bach and over the crimped terminal, and heatgun it
in place. The silicone is to keep HV from entering the shield.
Why not remove the shield?: The black outher cladding looks cool!.
Why not connect the shield to ground? : I`ve read here that the
capacitance of the shield can do bad things, like create spikes and
other nasty things.
The terminals are the yellow type for 2,5mm^2 cable, they fit the inner
insulation of uniradio perfectly. Don`t forget to solder the leads to
the terminals.
I place the supply in a suitable distance from the coil, so that the
cables are tight enough, not to touch the ground, or each other, so the
insulation is not an issue, really, neither is the 350 mA charging
current, but these are nice looking cables, and the materials are cheap.

Hope this helps, Finn Hammer