Re: Garry's MMC cap failure explained.

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

terry,
does the construction of garry's caps use that "compressed aluminum powder"
looking stuff for the foil end connections? the reason i ask is that i had some
propylene caps that heated on one end in operation also, after a few burnt,
i tore
them apart and it seemed this powdery stuff had some kind of plastic
blended into
it, (maybe a binder?) this powder end cap actually had nonconductive spots
in it
that my megger wouldn't ring threw. i thought that even though i used a sink on
the leads, i overheated the "powdery cappy thingy" and melted the "binder"? if
this could be what is going on then maybe all the current is going through
a very
small area on the end cap?
i threw all of them out and i don't remember the make, but i'll dig in my junk
boxes if you think this is feasible, might still be one lying around.
just a thought.
marc