More tube coil stuff (Carl Willis)...

Hi Dave, Other tube coilers,

I do think that the capacitors load down the MOT a lot (I have 0.4 microF
shunting it directly; when the level-shifter diode is not conducting, the L.S.
capacitor of 1.3 microF is in series with the main RF bypass of 0.4) all for a
reactance of ~2300 ohms at 60 Hz.  This is really too much since it will draw
high AC current through the MOT coils.  I am going to slim down the transformer
protection cap to 0.0033 microF (no other capacitors available, that's why)
which is too small according to Dave (0.1 to 1 I think you wrote) but has under
150 ohms at my operating frequency. I like the idea of my .4 uF after the
level-shifter because I am using the standard tuned-plate configuration and I
want to minimize RF reactance of this bypass cap. However, in priciple I don't
think I'd lose much by making it ten times smaller, so maybe I can lower that
capacitance too.

I should mention the peculiarities of my MOT.  I am only using about 4/5 the
windings in the primary in order to increase the step-up ratio.  Secondly, I
popped out the shunts (whatever power limiting those little things did anyway,
I don't really know.) In retrospect that was probably uncalled for, but that's
what I did.  These modifications have always been there and are not what is
making it so gosh darn hot right now.

Finally, a word about my spark.  If I put a nail on top of the toroid Freau
Style, I get about 15" brush discharge maximum.  If the point is under the
toroid, facing outwards, I get a small snappy brush until I bring a piece of
metal to about 20", when the brush gets real long and crackly and will
occasionally hit the metal.  If I use no point and approach a metal rod to the
toroid, a moderately thick but still purple arc and some brush as well will
rush out and snake around.  This also gets out about 20".  If there is no point
and no metal rod nearby, the toroid emits a crackling sound and thin breakout
streamers can be seen.  They are very short (only 3 or 4") but there are 10 or
15 at once.  They come in pulses that correspond with my gridleak components'
action.  I don't like to run the coil with no breakout facilities at all like
this because it occasionally causes a "ping" and "flash" in my 833A- the signs
of flashover.  I've got my 50-ohm protector resistor in there now, for what
it's worth.  It gets hot but other than that, causes no effects on the
operation.

And now I have found that I get best results with the plate coil -above- the
grid coil.  I have a flat-spiral secondary in two parts to allow some tuning by
changing the mutual inductance between the "pancakes" and the grid coil is a
similar flat spiral.  Tomorrow I am going to try a variety of magnifier-like
configurations with a spare flat spiral I have hanging around, i. e. tightly
coupling this coil to my primary, resonating it with a doorknob capacitor, and
directly coupling its hot end to the base of my secondary, stuff like that.  I
know Robert Stevens (sp?) made a "magnifier" like this that did pretty well.

Regards,

Carl

-at-
Sent by: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
08/30/2000 06:31 PM CST