RE: Microwave oven fan motors

Hi

Not being one to leave well enough alone, I tried it. Modified a small fan
motor from a small Microwave oven. It locked in sync OK. Put a universal hub
on it, had to wrap the shaft with a couple layers of tape to make it fat
enough to hold the hub, (it is a small motor) and still it stayed in sync.
Then I put a cover off of a tape box on to simulate a rotor. (3M 33+ comes
in a small box of polypropylene with a cover, about 3 1/2" in diameter) That
was to much for the poor little motor. This motor has a 1/2" stack. Perhaps
a larger motor with a 1" stack would turn a 3" disk of 1/8" G-10 OK.

The question remains how small of a rotary spark gap would still be usable,
that is when does it quit being a rotary break, and just become a rotary
power arc.

Perhaps I'll look into this further, if I can find a bit larger motor of the
same type amongst my junk.

later
deano