Re: Microwave oven fan motors

Hi all,

 I suppose that depends on your idea of *tiny*.  I use 4" PVC discs
cut with a hole saw for my SRSG.  It's a little .35A motor (pulls
~.5A hunting), and it hums along without a hitch.  Sure, PVC is bad
to use, but I pushed 2kva across it for a good 20-30 sec (lost a
tranny on that run), with no hitch, other than smoke rolling off of
the stationary electrodes.  The SRSG is a little tiny 1800 RPM
motor modified for sync operation.  With the 4" rotor, it work
beautiful on the little 2" form I use, and on the 4" coil at 2kva.
For much more current, I'd go to a bigger rotor (and naturally
motor), but to date, the rotor (maybe 1/2 hour total runtime) has
only yellowed a bit from the heat and UV (more UV than anything),
and shows no signs of being ready to fail.  I must admit, it eats
stationary electrodes like candy, they must be getting too hot, but
otherwise performs flawlessly.  I just assembled an 8 electrode
disc last weekend (am currently using 4), so I'll see how it runs.

 Sizewise, these things are tiny.  But hey, it works great for
small coils (and 2kva for that matter!).  I *do* strongly recommend
using a sync motor on a NST, as an a-sync will probably toast it in
short order.

So, Sundog's moral of the story, if it looks useful, it probably
isn't, but keep it anyway ;)

Sundog