Re: Draco Specifications

In a message dated 8/29/00 7:16:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

 - snip -

<<
 Spark Gap Specs:
 Type: Series Static
 Sections: 10
 Overall Gap Width: 1.0714"
 Electrodes: 1" diam. 2" long copper pipe

 Topload Specs:
 Diameter of Cross Section: 3.75"
 Toroid Diameter: 15.0"

 I think I've pretty much covered everything so far. Anyone have any
 suggestions, hints, tips, etc? Help would be appreciated. Also, are any of
 these specifications unfit for their job? I'm kind of thinking the coil form
 is too wide... But besides that, is this a good design? I'm looking for
 someone to point me in the right direction. But of course, I haven't yet
 obtained any parts, so, as I said last time, I can 'drift' on my design
quite
 a bit. By the way, have I forgotten anything necessary? (I designed this
 using WinTesla 3.2 if anyone is curious.)

 Thanks,
 - Joshua

Joshua,

I would suggest building a RQ style static gap with a muffin fan on top and
an air gap around the bottom for air flow in.  One inch dia. copper tubes is
ok, I would go with 3 or 4" in length.  Use 6 or 7 copper pipe sections with
.025" to .030" gaps between them.  Install copper or brass bolts long enough
on section # 1 and # 5, # 6 And # 7 to allow you to make connections to the
tank circuit.  This allows you to select any number of gaps - which you will
find useful some day.  Fire the coil with only 4 or 5 gap sections in the
circuit to keep the tank voltage down initially.  Then you can experiment
with more gaps once you get the coil properly tuned.

Ed Sonderman