Re: Output

Hi Ralph,

On 29 Aug 00, at 11:34, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com
>
> Hi Malcolm,
> I posted the question on output voltage around a week ago. I have seen
several
> measurements
> of volts per distance. Interesting and even helpful, but all the references
> are to a 1/4-wave
> coil. I am playing with a bipolar coil and getting a spark equal to the
> entire 21 inch length
> of the coil. In addition, when I spread the two terminals to their maximum
> separation and the highest terminal voltage, I get lots of corona and
> 12-14-inch streamers reaching out as they look for a ground. Is there any
> info available for determining the output voltage
> of a 1/2- wave bipolar?

The same considerations about volts/sparklength apply to
either type of coil because of the nature of the source
(repetitive, pulsed, high frequency "carrier"). Imagine 1Joule
being fed to a 1/4 wave resonator. Some voltage will be
reached depending on resonator design. Now split that energy
between two identical resonators (1/2 wave system). Voltage
between the terminals is sqrt(2) higher than the 1/4 wave
voltage to ground (seen from energy of conservation equation
if one sees the situation as an energy supply shared by two
identical capacitances).
      As to actual measurement, I'd put my money on calibrated
field probes sniffing a system operated below breakout so that
discharges don't (a) distort the e-field, and (b) don't
prematurely dissipate energy before ringup completion.

Regards,
Malcolm