Store Bought Coils

After reading these posts for a few months and the recent thread about the
difficulties of making a coil, It occurred to me that I might be better off
purchasing one of the "Plasma" globes (sold in several novelty stores, Radio
Shack, Wal-Mart, Meijers, Spencer Gifts, etc.), taking it apart and seeing what
can be done with it.  Has anyone else done this?  Is it a real "Tesla Coil" or
just a HV source with a exotic gas globe attached to it?

Just some musings.

T  τΏτ¬