Re: calculating safe primary turn-to-turn distance

Hi Jim,

On 28 Aug 00, at 23:24, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>
>

> > I just realized that is true for a helical winding, not a
> > pancake coil.! as the inductance/turn tapers off severely
> > towards the inner turns :(
> >

> Excellent point.... What would a good approximation be? linear? Square law?
> (inductance should vary with the area, right?) So, more inductance/turn on
> the inside turns.. = more voltage drop

Well the inner turns exhibit less inductance per turn so
perhaps the gradient ought to track the length of winding per
turn e.g. for the outer turn to the its nearest neighbour, the
gradient will be highest as will the length of conductor and
so on inwards.

Regards,
malcolm