From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2000 11:21 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE: Effective Resistance

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <M.J.Watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi John,
          I don't think there is too much of a problem here:

--------------------------  snip

I presume that means that my coil which has an unloaded Q of
300 odd and a primary voltage of 9kV is generating 2.7MV!!!???
I can assure you it isn't. More like 300kV actually. That
equation only applies to a CW-driven coil with no breakout.

-------------------------- snip

  But
> first of all the Reff must be cleary defined. For example is Reff the ESR
> that coilers talk about? The ESR is referred to as an impedance but the
Reff
> can not be an impedance. The Reff is a loss type ohms. An impedance is the
> sq rt of the squares of the active and reactive ohms. Note that there are
> three types of ohms in the electrical world, active, reactive, and
> impedance.

ESR = Equivalent Series *RESISTANCE*. Disipative resistance -
no complex impedances in there.

Regards,
Malcolm

> As you can see there is much more to the design and engineering of the
Tesla