Re: Q Factor and Overall Efficiency

hi John,

On 28 Aug 00, at 0:50, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>

> The Q factor tests have been discussed many times in past List posts.
> However, these tests give the Q factor in a low voltage condition. This is
> not the TC operating Q factor. The operating Q factor would give the
> secondary voltage with the equation
>     Vs = Vp * Q
> where Vp is the primary peak voltage.

I don't agree that this is valid for a disruptive TC and I
have stated why many many times so I won't repeat myself yet
again. Operating unloaded Q can easily be found by measuring
the decrementing waveform on an oscilloscope. I have found it
is pretty much the same as the results I've obtained in low
level tests.

> To find the operating Q factor would require only a scope and the proper
> probe and the knowhow. To do the test find the half power points while the
> Tesla coil is operating. Then determine the Q factor with the equation
>     Q = Fr/(Fh - Fl)

I think there is some misunderstanding here. You can find Fh
and Fl in low power tests by sweeping a signal generator
feeding the coil above and below Fr but how do you get a
frequency sweep on a coil that is ringing all by itself? The
only resonable way to measure Q when there is a single
frequency present is to calculate Q off the decrementing
waveform (as you've already stated). Both methods are
equivalent and the second can also be done at low power if the
secondary is shock excited.

> where Fr is the resonant frequency, Fh is the higher half power frequency,
> and Fl is the lower half power frequency. The Q factor would be the voltage
> gain from the TC input to the TC output. This gain could then be used to
> find the overall efficiency of the TC system. This would be done using the
> energy equation
>      Vs = sqrt(2J/Cs)
> Overall efficiency would be the Vs(half power) test volts divided by the
> Vs(energy) theory volts.

Am I correct in thinking you want to compare Vs (=sqrt(2J/Cs)
with Vs = Q.Vin?  You are comparing apples and oranges sorry.

Malcolm