Re: will this be a problem?

In a message dated 8/28/00 1:54:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<< Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

 At 12:33 AM 28/08/00 -0600, you wrote:
 >Original poster: "Pholp Smiff" <kawanze-at-hotmail-dot-com>
 >

 >i was winding my primary coil with .25" copper tubing and ran out (it was a
 >50 foot roll) and so i bought another 25 foot roll and started where the
 >other ended. I connected the two ends with aluminum tape (aka muffler
repair
 >tape) will this be a problem? will if affect inductance or burn up when the
 >higher current goes through it?
 >
 >thanks

 Hello Pholp,

 Splicing the two copper pipes with aluminum tape creates two problems.
 One, being disimilar metals, there is the corrosion possibility, but
 more importantly, two, there is very high circulating currents in the
 primary which means you need good, solid connections.

 Find yourself a piece of solid copper wire that is a snug fit inside
 the copper tubing.  Cut a piece about an inch or so long and use it
 as a splice to join the two ends of the tubing.  Shine up the tubing
 and the wire with sandpaper, apply some solder flux, and then sweat
 solder the connection.  If you take the time to file the ends of the
 tubing nice and square, you'll have an almost invisible splice. >>

I believe that I would use a copper brazing rod and a small torch to do a
refrigeration tube splice the same way it is done inside that (refrigeration)
industry. You should be able to buy small quantities of the right kind of
rods from most large hardware stores. The rods I use are high grade silver
brazing rods and are self fluxing on copper. Follow the above directions and
substitute the brazing rods for the flux/solder step. Afterward... a little
filing/sanding and it should be almost as good as one piece.

Good luck
Marc S.