Re: Inductive Kick LTR Pig Systems

all,
maybe my added streamer length has to do with my using a blown static
gap? since i am using the stepper trans. as the ballast, the current
then lags the voltage, as any inductive circuit does, this results in a
slower charge rate for the ltr pri. cap. with the Pfc. the current then
stays in sync. with the voltage thus causing a stronger bang to occur? i
will say that the gap had to be set wider and seamed to give a sharper
crack and the strange thing was that it seamed to fire at a shorter
rate? more bang farther spacing lower rate. the Pfc. for the pt's
primary has been there a while, though they were start caps, and the new
was the same value (until i lost one cap)they are run caps so that was
probably the heating? but dielectric on the Pfc.'s at rf? if rf is
getting past my filter maybe, witch it might be, the safety gap fired
twice the whole night. but this aside, the higher break rate of the 60hz
mains is only after the tank cap after the spark, right? Pfc. caps
should only see mains freq.? it was the Pfc. of the step down
transformer that seemed to make the difference? i wouldn't have even
checked for a value on that except for someone's statement "that an
inductor is an inductor", since the step down is an inductance
transformer therefore causing the current to lag i ran it through
wintesla to see, there it was.
sooo, if we are current limiting to say 20 amps with an inductor, then
we Pfc. this, we then reduce the apparent current to say 12 amps, this
allows another 8 amps into the circuit to bring back to 20 amp draw,
this gives 8 more amps into the circuit?
have to go back to jim's site and read the Pfc. section?
i didn't really want to start a war over this, i just took it for
granted that it was too be done this way, but it does seem to help, in
my case anyway. maybe someone with a running pig system could throw a
Pfc. cap (or bank) across the mains and see?
marc