Re: 3000 turner

In a message dated 8/27/00 11:55:31 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "Metlicka Marc" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>
>
>  hello all,
>  i am having dilemmas on whether to use this enameled steel lid for the
>  toroid mount on this secondary. on one hand i am afraid that it would
>  cause an arc to race down the inside of the form? on the other hand if i
>  use a long nylon screw and nylon spacers and washers to isolate the
>  topload from it, it might make a nice corona ring?
>  i need some input on this please? i could make a plastic plug for it but
>  it looks pretty good on there.
>  marc

Marc,

I've never had any problems with sparks jumping down inside the form,
even with no cover on the top of the form at all.  I never use a cover,
you can look straight down through the form and look out the bottom
on my coils.  Even with 65" sparks from a 23" secondary at 120 bps,
no sparks jumped internally.  I'm not sure what might happen as
the power is raised even more.  Generally I've got racing sparks
externally rather than internal sparks as I've raised the power.
My guess is that the metal cover will be fine.

John Freau