Re: Inductive Kick LTR Pig Systems

Hi Terry,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> It is seeming that pig ballasting is not
> >correcting the power factor and doing no more than limiting current, such as
>
> >the success Marc's recent use of PFC's.
>
> If the system were at unitity power factor, there would be no mechanism for
> current limiting.

Yes, if the system was purely resistive, where is the reactive current
limiting.

>  The current going into the system is still the same with
> PFC caps, we just use them to bend the AC vector back around to reduce the
> upstream current.

My understanding of PF correction is to bring the system to unity, ultimately
using PFC's to create a net reactance of zero (Xl = Xc) where reactive power =
real power. Assuming a pig used PFC's that actually brought the PF to very near
1, how would we limit current? Purely resistive methods? Maybe this explains
why pigs use inductive current limiting? Not sure, just thinking here.

> I posted my microsim model file at:
>

> <http://63.225.104.218/test/TeslaCoils/Misc/IKLTRPS01.sch>http://63.225.10
> 4.218/test/TeslaCoils/Misc/IKLTRPS01.sch

Thanks Terry. I'll load it up.

Bart