Re: pfc caps

In a message dated 8/27/00 12:31:41 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

<< No.  People often do not use them (in fact very few).  However, if you are
 at the current limit of your electrical service, you may be able to get
 much more power out of it still by correcting the power factor.  >>

<<  are pfc caps really necessary on a pig powered system... >>

<<  How can more inductance be used to counteract the power factor loss which
was caused by inductance in the first place? >>

Hi Terry, Bill, D. Wightman, Bart,

I've been following this  thread a little for the past few days and I've
finally decide to add my .02 worth. First of all, I have to agree with Bill
( aka-- Gomez) that you are not going to correct an inductive current
lag with more inductance from ballasting. Although I'm not too up on all
the mathematical formulae, I'm sure PFCs could do nothing but improve
the power factor of a transformer whether it's .5 KVA or 500 KVA. I think
the big reason that most coilers don't PFC their pigs is simply that a pig
has plenty of power to spare without trying to "milk" every last watt out
of it. As Terry said though, if you are running near the max of your mains
current handling capabilities, then PFCs could probably give you that ex-
tra edge to get another ft. or so of spark out of your system without kick-
ing out your breakers. Just MHO.

Good Safe Coilin,
David R.