Re: Inductive Kick LTR Pig Systems

On that fateful day 8/26/00 4:51 PM, thus spake Tesla list:

> Original poster: "Jeff W. Parisse" <jparisse-at-teslacoil-dot-com>
>
>> for 10kVA input.  The problem is the power factor is really bad!  Do
> people
>> use PFC caps with pig systems??  I assume the "limit" of such a system is
>> the AC line current available.  PFC caps may do wonders for getting more
>> bang for the same current.  PFC cap could easily pull that power factor
>> right in.
>
> I believe most people use inductive ballast (i.e. series variacs or welders)
> on pig systems. Can't inductors also be used to correct power factor? I'm
> guessing the power company uses cheap oil and paper PFC caps on the
> pole because it is cheaper than inductors on the pole (weight and money).

How can more inductance be used to counteract the power factor loss which
was caused by inductance in the first place?

No, capacitive reactance is used to "cancel" inductive reactance, since in
an inductive circuit, the current leads the voltage and in a capacitive
circuit, the voltage leads the current.  Or did I get that backwards?

 I didn't sleep well last night, and this morning's coffee hasn't helped.
Regardless, the two types of reactance have opposite effects on voltage and
current, which is why one is used to counteract the other.

- Gomez Addams

Fight for your right to privacy & freedom on the internet!  Use strong
encryption.  Encourage others to do the same.  Strong encryption is your
key to electronic privacy.  I have PGP-fone available for secure voice.
PGP fingerprint: 1CC2 ACFA 166B 92C7 FC4E  D0F5 006A 0EC1 8BD3 A988