RE: spark plug wires???

Hi Danny,

While some folks use spark plug wire to hook up primary circuits, it will
only work on a small coil because of the small diameter of the wire. I use
Accell Yellow Jacket spark plug wire to connect my NST or Pig (when I had it
in a plastic file box, its back in its own can now) to the spark gap, and
sometimes a piece to make the preliminary tap to the pri. for tuning
purposes, then when I've got it close, I go back to copper strap. Of course
the spark plug wire has to have real wire in it. The suppressor type of
spark plug wire will burn up in a couple of seconds as it is not intended to
handle the kind of current that you see in a TC tank circuit, or even in a
charging circuit. I have tried to use some silicon conductor stuff that was
supposed to be very high performance instead of a wire wound resistor as a
part of a filter for a NST and it was worth a fizzle.

Regular PVC insulated solid wire like used in houses etc. of 10AWG or 12AWG
will work OK as primary hook up wire as long as the power level is fairly
low. When you start pumping a lot of power however, you need a heavier
conductor. Some use welding cable, some use speaker wire that is nearly as
heavy as welding cable, some use copper tubing, some use copper strap. I
like the strap.

later
deano