Re: ESR

On 24 Aug 00, at 11:30, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Dan Kunkel" <dankunkel-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> Tesla Enthusiasts,
>
> I was looking through the Newark electroincs catalog and found some suitable
> mmc caps. But they are described as low ESR. What does that mean? And as
> long as I have your attention...what does 'wvdc' as opposed to 'vdc'
> (obviously vdc means volts direct current) when refering to capacitors.

low ESR = good, good, good!  Effective Series Resistance is a
frequency-dependent equivalent resistance model that
encompasses all losses present in the component. It's a bit
like (dare I say it) transmission lines: in that case you can
represent the impedance you measure at a port using three
lumped components.
     WVDC is the rated maximum voltage for continuous usage.
Its counterpart is Peak Voltage which allows for some
transient voltage above this.

Regards,
Malcolm