Re: Maggies and such

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <M.J.Watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

> That is really interesting!!!  My first shot at making sense
> of maggies several years ago made me jump to the conclusion
> that all one had to do was tune the primary to the extra coil
> and bingo.  I later realized that was in error and the error
> arose because L2 was quite small relative to L3. I may have
> serendipitously hit upon a k12 that worked.
>     Two years ago I then had a shot using the method I
> outlined above with two identical resonators and a rather
> loose k12 and that seemed to work fine. In that particular
> case I couldn't ignore the effects of C2.

The "optimum" is probably rather broad, and not very critical, as
a normal coil will break out at the terminal somewhat before the
maximum voltage is reached. Very probably there is something as
what happens in a normal Tesla coil, where it's not necessary
to operate the coil at the "magical values" of the coupling
coefficient, if more than a few cycles are used in the energy
transfer. I haven't verified this yet, but I would not be
surprised if the only really important relation were the
L1*C1=(L2+L3)*C3, corresponding to the relation L1*C1=L2*C2 of a
Tesla coil, for energy transfer in many cycles. The other relations
are tied to the mode, that are the equivalent of the "magic ks" for
the magnifier.

> Are you saying that L1 doesn't even figure?? I guess you are.

Yes, but you can also write k12=sqrt(L2*C3/(L1*C1)), considering
that L1*C1=(L2+L3)*C3.

> I love it!  It won't be tonight but it will be very soon I try
> this.

I have to try to make one too. But I probably will try a version
without transformer. Just three uncoupled coils, two capacitors,
and a terminal. The behavior is the same. Just to be different.

In the formulas, "^" is really exponentiation: k^2=k*k.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz