Re: Parallel and Series LCR Circuit Qs

In a message dated 8/21/00 10:44:54 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "Metlicka Marc" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>
>
>  hi john, all
>  i would like to ask another silly question, why is the 1000 to 1500
>  turn's secondary the shoot for number? what would the detrimental
>  effects of a, say 3000 turn secondary be?
>  marc

Marc,

That's a good question actually.  It is actually very possible that
3000 turns would work well, but I've never tried it.  The most I've
used is 1600.  Generally as the number of turns increased, I
obtained more spark length.  I've been planning to try more turns,
but I didn't get around to it yet.  With 3000 turns in the secondary,
then 30 to 50 turns may be needed in the primary.  This would
give a super-high surge impedance, and might help to reduce the
gap losses.  I would imagine though that there would be a trade-
off point that will be reached at some point where the losses in
the secondary will become high enough to eliminate any benefit.
Also, the benefits of a high primary surge impedance may begin
to taper off too maybe?  The super high secondary impedance
resulting from so many turns may also benefit the spark
production in some other way, perhaps by "telling" the sparks;
"Makeith thy lengths long!"      :)

Cheers,
John Freau