NST filter failure?

> Original poster: "Christopher Boden" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> >Original poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
> >I would be interested in hearing what with wrong with the NST filter?
> >
> >snip...
> >

> Mark?

Yes?  ;-)

Well, I actually just reassembled the base, and placed it in an out-of-the-way
location in the laundry room (the only first-floor location that's out of the
way).  I doon't have access too the tools required until next week.

My filter is the exact one posted on Terry's page.  I'm running 15/90
currently,
although I did have the 4th NST hooked up at teh beginning of the demo (Mark's
law of life 157:  if it a lready works well, then do *NOT* make it better an
hour before you need to use it).  This was not, IMO, a cause of the failure, as
the symptoms below occurred at least 20 minutes after I removed the 4th NST and
MMC bank, and it was running "normal" just after the removal.

I surmise that I had a motor problem (lost sync when NSTs were running),
combined with a too-wide safety gap, and a poor power supply (tried to run 20+A
off a 15A (probably 14AWG romex) fuse).  The motor, FRT, I've had trouble with
before (thermometer failed during first test run).  The resitors got MUCH
hotter
than they should have (for ~5 minutes run time over 45 minutes).  The MOVs,
which normally run cold to "bearly warm," were SEARING hot - hot enough to turn
the glossy epoxy a nice matte.  I fear that these are toast, and I will need to
replace all 14.  MOVs fail open, correct?

It'll probably be about 10 days before I'll know anything more.  I'll post what
I find out.

Mark