Re: secondary to try...

----- Original Message -----
From: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Sunday, August 20, 2000 12:26 AM
Subject: secondary to try...

> Original poster: "sundog" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>
>
>     Hi All!
>
>   Since John F. endorses 'higher turns' (less filling!/tastes
> great!), vs less turns.  Will a secondary wound with 40ga wire
> (don't ask how I managed it) work?  I'll try it anyway, and
> hopefully it'll work.  I'm expecting ~1100-1500 turns on this form
> (it isn't done yet), and I'll be sure to smother it with
> polyurethane before smoke-testing.  I'll keep ya'll posted on the
> results.  Oh, one tiny problems...this stuff is super-fine
> wire...ideas on ground-connection and toroid connection?    I was
> just gonna forego sripping the enamel, and just let 'er arc over
> (that'll remove the insulation!)
>                                                           Shad, AKA
> Sundog

    I don't see why it wouldn't work. I've successfully used 33 guage wire
on
several forms (little forms) very successfully. I've "tried" to burn these
up and it just doesn't happen. I even used a 1.75 x 9.75 form w/ the 33
guage in a 1500VA MOT system. It would produce 14" white arcs constantly for
as long as the rest of the coil would last (this was around 30 min. until
the capacitor blew up). It was a challenge getting the spark gap to quench
for this long at only 2400 volts :-). As for the 40 guage the only problem I
can see is trying to see the danged stuff in order to wind it.
    For the ground and toroid connections what you'll want to do is take a
peice of plexiglass (or similar) and fit it into (or onto whichever looks
better) the end of your coilform. Don't glue it. Once your sure it is a nice
snug fit pull it off (out) and drill a hole in the center of it. Hot glue a
nylon bolt in this hole (don't get glue in the threads!). Next to the bolt
stick a strip of aluminum tape to the plexiglass. sand down the end of the
wire and stick it on top of this with another peice of aluminum tape (don't
completely cover the bottom peice). Now friction-fit the plexiglass back
into the end of the tube (or glue it on the end). Do the same for the
bottom. If you take your coil apart often you may want to recess the bottom
peice of plexi into the tube enough so that you can just set it on top (no
bolt) of another plexiglass disk that is a snug fit into the tube (and has
the ground connection on it of course). For the toroid (needs a hole) you
can just slide it onto the bolt and tighten it down with a nylon nut and
washer.

Before I take up anymore Bandwidth...
Jason Johnson