Re: insulated disc rotaries, was avalon condition

In a message dated 8/19/00 4:43:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "tesla" <tesla-at-cyberverse-dot-com>
>
>  I have an idea for a rotary gap that I haven't seen discussed before. I
>  picture it as two disks with electrodes facing each other the proper
>  distance. Both are stationary. In between the disks is a motor-driven
>  insulator disk, with holes punched out so when the rotary disk spins, it
>  uncovers all electrodes at the same time. Number of electrodes is of
course,
>  up to the design.
>
>  Seems that this idea, if properly made, would quench as good as, or better
>  than anything i've heard of. The only possible problem I see is erosion of
>  the rotary disk.
>
>  Gene Lambert

Gene,

As you mentioned, erosion is a big problem.  Another problem
is carbon tracking along the insulators.  In any case this design
will not help the quenching because of two reasons.  First,
no mechanical system can have a short enough mechanical
dwell time to help with quenching, Second, the quench will
occur without a problem in a properly built system.  The quench
time in a TC actually depends on other factors than the rotary
gap in most situations.  Factors such as ballasting, primary
surge impedance, spark loading, etc.  It is good to keep the
rotary electrodes running cool however.... this helps the quench.

Cheers,
John Freau