Re: How bout this for a gap? A disk interrupted gap.

In a message dated 8/19/00 7:16:16 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "Garry F." <garryfre-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
>  I was reading the book from Brent Turner and as I was reading about the
> triode,
>  I had an idea. I don't think this idea is unique tho, I doubt that I am the
>  first to think about it.
>
>  Picture a gap, that had a non-conducting rotating disk with slots in
between
>  the gap where the slots serve to allow a path for sparking and the spaces
>  between the slots serve to cut quench the gap where the slots arrive over
> the
>  electrodes just at the right time and the space quench the gap at the right
>  time.

Garry,

You are correct that this has been discussed in the past.  I think
a potential problem is that the insulating disc may burn up at the
slots from the arc, or develop troublesome carbon tracking.  I think
a normal rotary is a lot less trouble and extremely reliable.  The
electrodes never fly off if it's built securely.  But yes, it's always
good to be trying to think of new ideas.

Cheers,
John Freau